Thursday, March 22, 2012

Review: Just skip the whole New Moon thing!


Title: New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Series: The Twilight Saga
Release: 2006, 2007, 2008
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance


After reading the first book of The Twilight Saga in just one night, I was rather looking forward to reading New Moon. I digged in the next day but about half way through I got really dissapointed. The whole story just became depressing. It's not that I couldn't bear it that something bad happened, I usually like the drama. Again it was the main character, Bella, who just annoyed me to the bone! She just whined through the whole book. The input of all the hallucinations she has while being in danger also didn't make sense to me. It all got overly dramatic and it almost made me flip through the pages to get to less whining and more excitement. The only reason that I didn't was because of Jacob, Bella's old friend, who accomplishes it to make, not only Bella, but also me as a reader a bit more happy. The last few chapters were such a relief to me. It was the main reason why Alice became my favorite member of the Cullen family. The addition of The Volturi, who represent the vampire law, was brilliant and just what the book needed to get me reading the third book of the series: Eclipse.

Conclusion: New Moon was a concatenation of a whining and nagging main character but therefore I was extra happy to be relieved of the depression by a rather clever ending.
Rating: u. . . .


After reading New Moon I didn't really expect Eclipse to be much better. But it was! I absolutely loved Eclipse because the interaction between the characters became much more lively than in the previous two books. I also did not expect Jacob to be something supernatural but it was a pleasant surprise to find that he was. Because of the conflict that arose between Edward and Jacob, I began to like Bella more. The book definitely added an extra layer to her character. It was also much lighter than New Moon and Twilight and there was much humor in it, which I enjoyed very much. The returning of some of the 'bad guys' from Twilight was a nice twist too. All in all, I liked Eclipse the most. And I like re-reading it, which is per definition a good thing. 


Conclusion: The conflict between two main characters and the addition of another supernatural being made Eclipse the best book of the series.
Rating: uuu . .

Breaking Dawn starts off with the whole lovey-dovey romantic wedding. I was very glad to see that the humor of Eclipse wasn't lost. Edward's sister, Alice, made the first chapters pretty tolerable. And, after three books, they FINALLY have sex. That really made it very clear that the series is meant for 'young adults' (not at al comparable to another vampire related series, written by Charlaine Harris). I was glad that all the horror finally got released in this final book. I was sincerely disgusted by the idea of a baby vampire eating you up from the inside out. Just the thing I needed to read after three books full of perfectly weighed words not to affront the underaged reader. I also liked the chapters in which you follow Jacob. It provided me with the break I needed from all the horror. The best thing of the whole book was when all the other vampires were introduced. Their abilities fascinated me and that, again, made me like Bella more. I wasn't at all dissapointed by the final plot of the series. After Eclipse, Breaking Dawn is my favorite book of the four and it's storyline stays with me the most. 


Conclusion: Breaking Dawn was a breath of fresh adult air after the first three books. I loved all the horror and all the new characters and I was surprised by the final plot. 
Rating: uuu . . 



And that, my dear readers, was the final thing I will be posting about The Twilight Saga! (I promise) My next review will be about The Sookie Stackhouse Series / The Southern Vampire Novels by Charlaine Harris. Quite looking forward to that actually!



You can now follow me on Twitter: @FantasyReviews #FantasyReviews

No comments:

Post a Comment