Thursday, March 22, 2012

Review: Losing Fantasy virginity to The Twilight Saga

Title: Twilight
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Series: The Twilight Saga
Release: 2005
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance

Since I didn't start reading Fantasy until about two years ago, I will start off this blog with the first series I read and enjoyed: The Twilight Saga. Yes people! I lost Fantasy virginity to the most loved, hated and hyped series of the 21th century. By the time I read it, I wasn't even aware of the fact that somewhere in America little girls were begging Robert Pattinson to bite their underaged necks. In fact, the last time I had enjoyed a vampire story was when Brad Pitt played one giving an interview (did anyone want him to bite them?). I do know that I would bite those girls heads off, given the chance. I absolutely hate what those movie people did to the books. They made it into a shallow teenage girls romance though that has never been my perception of the books at all.

Although the books were very easy to read and the used language isn't very subtle or well thought trough I really got sucked in by the story. Once I started to read, I found that I wasn't even able to put it down. I didn't. I read the first book in one breath and finally closed it at 5 o'clock in the morning. Quite embarassing to be honest...

Bella, the books heroine, annoyed me immediately. But I found that it was because she was so absolutely unlike me. And now that I come to think of it, she will probably be most like all the teenage girls who are supposed to read the book. An insecure little drama queen who thinks she is doing her best not to attract any attention and seems to avoid being a burden to the people around her. By trying so hard she is doing just that, wich was the main reason for me to dislike her so much. She didn't seem as sincere as Stephenie Meyer, the author, probably wanted to make her. This is the first defect of the story because nobody can be so 'likeable' and 'all good intentions' as Bella.

It is quite weird that the most unlikely personage of Edward Cullen, is actually the one that I believed the most. He has a lot of imperfections and it is very clever of Meyer to make it seem like he hasn't, as we read the book through Bella's perspective. When I read the book, I did not yet know what Edward was and anyone who hasn't heard of Twilight (wich is very unlikely by now) should not even hear the word vampire before picking up the book. It makes it so much more enjoyable if you don't know what is going on.

The story never seemed to bore me and that is an achievement on it's own. I was immediately intrigued by the whole Cullen family and I began to love every member. I found myself wanting to know everything about them, and that was my first connection with the main personage, Bella. The book seems to evolve around her stupidity and her being in danger. The concept of the most dangerous creature being the one who constantly has to save her, really appealed to me.

Conclusion: Book 1 of The Twilight Saga has an exciting storyline including some really good characters of wich Bella is the worst. My dislike of the main character did not stop me from reading the following three books with almost as much joy. 
Rating: uu. . .


In my next blog I will tell you why I read book 3 of the Twilight Saga three times and why I never pick up book 2. (After that you will never hear me about the series again. Such a relief right?)




No comments:

Post a Comment